Flat roof

The flat roof on a friends garage has lost most of the chippings that were put on to protect it. Is it ok just to apply more chippings/grit? How deep should the grit be applied? The felt looks in good order.
I lost a lot of the lime stone chippings from my garage roof by the rain washing them into the guttering. I screwed a piece of wood along the edge to stop this and replaced the chippings, and drilled some holes in the wood so that the rain water could drain away. Since then no problems, so yes it;s ok to replace the chippings

You should apply a coat of bitumen emulsion first. This sets semi hard and hold the chipping in place. Sweep all the chipping into a heap where you intend finishing, brush on the emulsion in a 1m or 36" wide strip, with a soft long handle sweeping brush, then with a shovel spread the chipping evenly over the emulsion. repeat till you finish. Don't stand on the emulsion as it sticks to your foot wear and any where you walk, its a sod to get off.