Fixing bathroom accessories

Hi All, I've just finished re-tiling my bathroom. I just need to attach my new accessories (Glass backed with chrome details). Should you ALWAYS drill the tiles and use the fixings provided or would it be OK to use "No More Nails" or similar? I suspect most people will say drill and screw, just wondering if I can do it the lazy way :-)

Cheers,

Reply to
6680 fan

I would drill the tile. (you will need a special bit, and tape on the wall) I don't have much experience with no more nails, but would suspect that it needs a porous surface to adhere well, which a tile isn't.

Reply to
stevej

It all depends on how much weight they're holding up, or how much stress will be involved.

If it's for example a disabled person's grab handle, then fix it as firmly as poss. If it's a toilet roll holder, stick it on, *after* reading the instructions for what sticks what to what.

Disclaimer - There are exceptions to every rule, and this rule is no exception :-))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Depends on the weight and what the effect would be if the adhesive did fail. If it could injure or kill someone you certainly want to follow the advice of the manufacturer of the accessories. Otherwise, you could end up being sued if, say, something fell on someone.

If you are going to glue them, proper adhesive meant for the materials is a much better bet than "no more nails" - which is basically fine for joints under compression but not for those under tension, IMHO.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Drill and screw; just make sure that you push the wall plug past the tile, or the tile will almost certainly crack as you tighten the screw.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Thanks a lot for that guys! They're just things like toilet roll and soap holders. I think I'll drill and screw. If a jobs worth doing etc...

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

6680
Reply to
6680 fan

GOLDEN RULE. Don't set your drill on hammer.

Reply to
Bob Watkinson