fitting washing machine in bathroom

I am trying to get my washing machine fitted in my bathroom and an electrician has told me that this would be illegal. As I understand the regulations so long as the machine is in zone 3, is on a fused spur and has earth bonding it would be legal (subject to checking). Can anyone tell me if I'm wrong?

Reply to
alice.humphrey

Zone 3 The regulations do not specify any IP number for zone 3, however reference should be made to the manufacturers data in case it indicates any exclusion. Portable electrical equipment is not permitted other than that using a SELV or shaver unit.

Find another electrician.

Reply to
zaax

You may well be correct. The only question would be, I suppose, is whether or not it is still classed as a portable appliance.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Agreed. The washing machine is not a portable appliance it is a "non fixed current using device".

your friend on this one.

The washer will need to be fed via a 30mA RCD and the location of the fused spur may be limited (I used a labelled fused spur in my parents kitchen to feed a flex outlet plate for the washer in their bathroom). The fused spur or flex outlet plate will of course need to be part of the supplementary (NOT earth) bonding.

HTH

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No -- it's often referred to as a stationary appliance.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi , I would'nt do it.

Just my penny worth.

Mick. Leeds U.K.

Reply to
Micky Savage

Wasted a penny then.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But that's the best room to spend a penny...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Of course the OP didn't say what type of washing machine (dish washing machine, perhaps?) or where "his" bathroom was (local restuarant, perhaps?)

We make these assumptions, whereas, it could be a penny well spent..

;)

Reply to
Palindr☻me

I have just re-read

the NICEIC also use the term "non portable appliance" as well as "non-fixed current using device"

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

2p then - I agree - it's a bonkers idea unless you want to watch your smalls go round whilst in the bath..

I have never seen a house with a washing machine in the bathroom (LOL - not even in a makeover show).

It's beyond me that anyone would even think of doing it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

You should get out more and watch less TV.

Kitchen too small perhaps.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

idea unless you want to watch your smalls

Putting the electrical safety aspect aside for a moment, when you think about it the a bathroom does seems a more logical location for washing your shitty underwear in comparison to a kitchen where food is prepared.

Reply to
Graham