Fitting new gas hob - pipe fitting questions

I've replaced my single electric fan oven with a new model (AEG) and as the old was white and the new one is stainless steel (blame the missus!) we bought a new gas hob as well to match the new colour.
The fitting for the gas inlet on the new hob however is in a slightly different place to the old hob and as such I'm going to need to do some new pipework. Now I know people will say, get a CORGI engineer in etc. etc. but I'm going to attempt this myself. The fittings I understand are standard half inch.
My first question though, as there is a smaller clearance with the top of the new oven and where the pipe goes into the new hob, I would like to use a flexible hose instead of steel or copper piping. Can I do this? Is it safe?
If not, then I'm going to have to make up some new piping. If I need 90 degree elbows etc., can I just use standard half inch plumbing fittings? Are they any particular type for gas? ie. normal water plumbing uses olives on the end of the pipe with compression fittings. I'm guessing gas pipes have to be slightly different????
Any help greatly appreciated!
Andy

new
but
TonyB

It's not permitted since November last year, unless the appliance installation instructions explicitly state it's OK. It also would have to be kept away from any hot parts of the oven underneath.

Normally done with soldered connections. Some sort of screwed connection (e.g. compression fitting) is used for the final connection to enable removal for maintenance, but compression fittings are forbidden where they would be inaccessible. There must be an isolation valve installed in the pipework too.
There are also requirements about ventilation, sideways and vertical clearances, where on a worktop a hob is allowed (not an open end, IIRC), permitted pressure drop and affect on other gas appliances, etc. You need to be competent to do this yourself, and unless you know all this, you aren't. It should cost you only a few tens of quid to get a CORGI to come and do it for you.
--
Andrew Gabriel