Fitting low emmisivity glass

I presently have aluminium framed double glazing (standard glass). I would like to upgrade to Pilkington K or equivalent and helium gas filled. I have been quoted over 2k to do this! Are there any products out there that can decrease the thermal conductivity but won't cost the earth? I've seen films you can apply but these make the glass very reflective and so they look ridiculous!

Have you actually worked out what difference it will make? I suspect they payback period will be enormous, longer than the life of the windows, so you aren't likely to save any money.
Converting single glazing to plain glass double glazing knocks about 45% off the heat lost through the windows (although this isn't permitted since April 2002). In most circumstances, such double glazing won't pay for itself in its lifetime in terms of energy savings (although there are other reasons to convert). note that heat loss through windows is not normally the largest source of heat loss in a house anyway.
However, if you already have double glazing and want to convert from plain glass to low-E, you're only looking at about an extra 22% being knocked off the heat loss through the windows, but are likely paying much more than 22% of the total cost of replacing the windows, hence the payback period will be vastly longer than the life of the windows. So if there's some other compensating reason, that's fine, but you won't come anywhere near recovering the cost of replacing the glazing in energy savings. Just about anything else you could think of for reducing energy losses would be more cost effective (and likely much cheaper).
--
Andrew Gabriel