fitting gas hob

I have a whirlpool gas hob and hose (screw-bayonet) but need an elbow. I'm guessing it's not OK to use water elbows with olives, where can I get the part ?
Cheers,
Bruce.

pipework copper or steel with an isolation valve.

Not true!!!! If the hob is stand alone eg not with an oven below it. you can fit a hose
SM

unless explicitly allowed in the installation instructions !

elsewhere in the kitchen, free standing but, at the moment, not built in, leaving the exposed metal case. Is this OK ? The hob is not free-standing in the sense that it has no legs but can be mounted in the worktop leaving a space below. Would this be legal ? As regards law, how much 'competance' is required to fit an elbow joint and hose to a hob, the local shops already happily sold me a compression elbow when I described the problem. I got an estimate for 60-70 for installing the hob properly, should I just bite the bullet ? Is OK to have the cooker touching the plastic part of the power attachment box ? I have mounted the oven on a pine wooden plinth, the allow it to clear the gas point, is this OK ? It's just normal planed pine - is this traeted with fire retardent - and is this needed ? If a plumber came and fitted the hob, would they also mount it or would I need a carpenter to do that ?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Bruce.

[...]
<snip>

I thought it was illegal to do anything with gas appliances unless you were Corgi registered. Is this not true?
Steve
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:32:45 -0000, "Steve Rainbird"

Over the past year or so there has been different interpretations of the regs on diy groups. IIRC the regs state that an appliance must be installed by a "competent person" & if work is done for "gain" they must be Corgi registered. Ergo, one school of thought is that, if a DIY'er is competent & he does it for 'himself' he is within his rights.
A google search of the subject will no-doubt bore you rigid ;-)
Don.

"As of autumn 2004 it is no longer acceptable to supply a fixed hob with a flexible connector. It never was best practice and it was usually very difficult to do so in a compliant manner. Fixed appliances should be supplied with fixed pipework. The temptation arises because frequently during kitchen fitting the new hob ends up close to where the old cooker stood. Less experienced DIYers may feel they are competent to install the hob but not to install a fixed pipe."
taken from the Gas Fitting FAQ http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

pipework. I do have a couple more quesitons though, I've got horrible visions of the gas fitter turning up and saying the arrangement of the hob and oven are unsatisfactory. The hob is slightly too small for the workspace gap, is it OK to screw a square wooden frame around this to mount the hob ? The oven is deeper than the units, is it OK to have it protruding ? What clearance do I need between the sides of the worksurfaces and the electric oven ?
I also went to the local libaray, and the libaray of an appropriate technical collage to find material about this but found nothing. Can anyone suggest a good source for books or some good internet sites ?
Cheers,
Bruce.

the wall, anything above the hob must be a minimum of 760mm away, the gap between cupboards either side of the hob must be as wide as the hob itself, as should a extractor hood. The height of cupboards either side of the hob must be a minimum of 460mm if less than 50mm from the sides of the hob and there should be 300mm either side of the hob before a vertical surface. Check the instructions, some Whirlpool gas hobs state that a oven below the hob must have a cooling fan or additional room ventilation, you should have a least a door or window direct to outside. The oven is not really of concern to the gas installer on with regard to the position of the gas pipes to allow the oven to fit.