Fire hazard from mobile phone charger

I read just recently that a house fire had started from a mobile phone charger being left on. Does anyone know about the risks and whether it applies to other similar chargers/transformers eg cordless telephone power supply units??

Reply to
AJH

anything electrical could do the same, hopefully the manufacturers have built in some protection to prevent fires

Reply to
Kevin

Might not be the charger - could have been a defective battery being charged so the charger wouldn't be able to do anything about it, even if it had been well designed with thermal protection.

We're not just talking cheap unbranded batteries from questionable sources - even the popular manufacturers can have problems. See following relating to Nokia BL-5C.

I don't think you should lie awake worrying about it - but it's sensible to keep things being charged away from flammable materials.

HTH Midge

Reply to
Midge