Finding a Good Pro

How do you guys go about finding a good pro to help with your projects around the house/office?
-- FastenFinder.com (coming soon!)
    fastensoft_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (jaymelone) writes:

Personal recommendation from friend, or by watching them at work somewhere else first.
--
Andrew Gabriel
(jaymelone) writes:

A recommedation from a pro that you trust and have used before is also good.
Adam
jaymelone wrote:

Ah! In a DIY group you have to do it yourself. Otherwise you are shot at dawn.
Rob Graham

For the garage conversion, I've needed just three pros (builder, plasterer & sparky), and I found all of them via www.ratedpeople.com.

Ought to add here, that in each instance, I did ask friends & relatives for recommendations, and either received none, or didn't like the price or person when they arrived.
JW
jaymelone wrote:

See if your local council trading standards have a 'Fair Trader' or similar scheme. This is our local one, of which I'm a member and its not a rubber stamp job.
http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/business/tradingstandards/fairtrader.htm
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk