Filling gap (0.5cm to 1.0cm) below some skirting board

Hi,

All the skirting board in my flat goes right down to the floor.

However, in two sections (both visible, one in hall one in living room) I got some replaced due to water damage and the idiot (sadly a recommendation) left a gap ranging from about half a cm over 1cm along the bottom.

I want to do the job properly and fill this in. Would you recommend

1) Replace the skirting board with some of the correct size. or 2) Somehow fill the gap with filler?

I don't want to leave a gap as there is slight draught coming through, and it winds me up that the board is not consistent all the way around.

Any advice appreciated!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I don't think you're the kind of guy who will be satisfied with botched filler jobs. Like me. Something that is very visible needs the right job and I think the only practical method would be to replace. You could spend hours - days even! Trying to fiddle about getting the gap filled without it showing. a couple of hours could replace the existing skirting.

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

In article , Tom writes

Depends if you have carpet down or not and whether your skirting is painted or not.

If you have carpet and painted skirting then the depth of underlay and carpet will easily cover a fillet of sealant at the gap. 1cm is a bit much but I have filled a similar gap with expanding foam and smoothed the cut back surface with sealant. Once repainted, the smoothed filler line will blend into the carpet.

If it's not carpeted or bare wood then get the idiot back & beat him up.

Reply to
fred