FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how. (Version 13)

This is an introduction to the UK.D-I-Y newsgroup for new and experienced Do-It-Yourselfers in the United Kingdom. If you want help, or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the professionals' you are welcome to 'pick our brains'.
There is a good chance your query, or a very similar one, has already been discussed and answered by the group, so please have a look at the Google uk.d-i-y archive, and our companion website for Frequently Asked Questions (the FAQ) before posting a question here.
The Google uk.d-i-y archive is available for searching at http://tinyurl.com/65kwq
and the UK.D-I-Y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk /
The FAQ website gives background information about a diverse range of DIY topics, and guidance on formulating questions to post here that will most easily get the answers you need. For example, you should explain the background to the problem as well as asking your question.
The FAQ includes detailed information on common DIY problems in areas such as central heating, plumbing, electrical, decorating, security, plastering, and tools. It also has a reference section pointing to other useful sites and companies.
You should be aware that although replies in most cases are perfectly accurate and sensible, there are occasions when someone posts an inappropriate answer. In this case one of the regulars is very likely to post a correction, so it is always a good idea to check back later.
The FAQ makes clear that commercial advertising in the group is NOT welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. However, replies to specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying are acceptable. There is more information on commercial participation in the FAQ.
[...]

So if we already have uk.d-i-y, why do we now have free.uk.diy.home?
Are there some questions that are better asked in free.uk.diy.home and others better in uk.d-i-y, if so what ones where?

It was a failed attempt to start up a new hierarchy with fewer rules by some people who had fallen out with news admins and didn't want to conform to the commonly held Usenet rules. What they failed to realise is that they depend on news admins to propagate their newsgroups, which is why the free.* newsgroups are poorly propagated. They are generally not very useful, particularly where they duplicate existing groups.

Just ignore free.uk.diy.home. It has far fewer participents, little peer review of responses, and different articles depending where your newsfeed comes from.
--
Andrew Gabriel

OK thanks. But in its favour, it did draw my attention to uk.d-i-y and the diyfaq.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:22:23 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Paul Lautman"

It's nice to know my post is achieving it's aim, but you shouldn't really credit it to free.uk.diy.home. I routinely post "FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question?" to uk.d-i-y as part of the task of maintaining its FAQ website http://www.diyfaq.org.uk /. I've recently added free.uk.diy.home to the distribution so that you guys will know where the real action is.
Phil Addison wrote:

Could we similarly invade the IEE and Screwfix fora? ;-)
Owain

Yes, but...
It was the arrival of the new group at my newsserver that brought it to my attention. And cice I hadn't noticed uk.d-i-y, posting the FAQ reference in uk.d-i-y whould not have been seen by me.