FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how. (V.16)

I went to this site. Got a virus.

Be warned!

Reply to
Chas

In message , Chas writes

It was prolly the pron site you visited before

there is no virus

Reply to
raden

Abuse mailbox. Please use generously

abuse-mailbox: snipped-for-privacy@uk.tiscali.com

Query the RIPE Database Search for Switch to the RIPE TEST Database

% This is the RIPE Whois query server #2. % The objects are in RPSL format. % % Note: the default output of the RIPE Whois server % is changed. Your tools may need to be adjusted. See %

for more details. % % Rights restricted by copyright. % See
Note: This output has been filtered. % To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag % Information related to '88.104.0.0 - 88.107.255.255' inetnum: 88.104.0.0 - 88.107.255.255 netname: DSL-TISCALI-UK descr: Tiscali UK Ltd descr: Milton Keynes descr: Dynamic DSL descr: ========================================================== descr: Concerning abuse and spam ... mailto: snipped-for-privacy@uk.tiscali.com descr: e-mail to other addresses will not be dealt with. descr: ========================================================== country: GB admin-c: TU935-RIPE tech-c: TU935-RIPE status: ASSIGNED PA mnt-by: TU935-RIPE-MNT source: RIPE # Filtered role: Tiscali UK address: Tiscali UK Limited address: 20 Broadwick Street address: London W1F 8HT phone: +44 207 087 2000 remarks: Information:
DC-RIPE admin-c: DG9105-RIPE tech-c: DC-RIPE nic-hdl: TU935-RIPE remarks: Hostmaster Role Account mnt-by: TU935-RIPE-MNT source: RIPE # Filtered abuse-mailbox: snipped-for-privacy@uk.tiscali.com

Reply to
EricP

In message , EricP writes

[snip]

I see no abuse. You might not like what was written, but that doesn't necessarily make it an abuse of any usenet guidelines, ISP t&c's, netiquette etc?

You could argue about the masked email address, but to be honest how many people on usenet do exactly that? ... many if not most?

On the other hand, and IMHO your actions pointing hundred people at an abuse contact for the posters ISP, could easily be considered malicious or even harassment - it could possibly have a real world effect on their account or connectivity. It might be argued that is as much if not more reason for an abuse report?

I won't post your ISP's abuse contact, anyone with half a brain doing a blueyonder lookup at dnsstuff.com or somesuch could find it *if* they really felt strongly enough that they *needed* it. Putting the abuse contact in front of the world however just invites further malicious or even unconsidered abuse reports.

[long aside follows] I actually support Phil's posting of the FAQ and the linked site. FFS someone is paying for the registration and the hosting, well done to Phil, the contributors and anyone else involved in it.

Our somewhat porky[1] colleague highlights what I think is a reasonable point though, what if (sorry Phil[2], I know you wouldn't but bear with me) decided to start including "B&Q are tossers" in the FAQ? Is it right, is it fair? Is there any control? Any democratic vote etc etc (legal opinions of libel aside please!). There is no charter for uk.d-i-y, it's basically a free for all as things currently stand.

That, I think, is where our porky friend has the issue, I can't say I agree with how he's going about it, but I can't say I disagree with his general view.

We've got someone suggesting a moderated group at the moment, but I don't see them getting flamed/abused off usenet.

P.S. If it did ever go to charter/vote, Phil would get my vote anyway :-)

[1] We all know where pork comes from, the same place as bacon [2] Sorry Phil, never met you, very presumptuous of me to call you Phil [/long aside]

Finally, to save anyone the lookup, you can report me to the usual suspects at ntlworld.com if you find you don't like what I've written.

Sincere Regards to all, including EricP, Porky and Phil :-) Someone

Reply to
somebody

Oh hello. :))

You have been quiet for a while :))

I think Tiscali can make up their own minds thanks. :)

I didn't think you were simple minded, but I have been mistaken before. :((

You don't know much about Usenet do you? My abuse address goes with every post I make, and it's exactly the same address as you own goodself, mine just has to redirect, while yours goes direct.

(Snipped) (sorry)

Reply to
EricP

In article , EricP writes

Thanks, abuse report sent.

Reply to
fred

In message , EricP writes

[snip]

[snip]

I do enjoy the occasional reasoned debate - even with those who I disagree. Those debates which employ mutual respect even whilst diametrically opposed and without resorting to insults, can be both thought provoking and enlightening. Quite predictably though, your post indicates you're not planning on too much of that.

Oh well. I'll leave you with your credentials as a thoughtful debater and thinker intact.

.

Regards Someone

Reply to
somebody

Regards

:))

Reply to
EricP

X-No-Archive [Weekly posting - Archived once a month]

This is an introduction to the UK.D-I-Y newsgroup for new and experienced Do-It-Yourselfers in the United Kingdom. If you want help, or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the professionals' you are welcome to 'pick our brains'.

There is a good chance your query, or a very similar one, has already been discussed and answered by the group, so please have a look at the Google uk.d-i-y archive, and our companion website for Frequently Asked Questions (the FAQ) before posting a question here.

The Google uk.d-i-y archive is available for searching at

and the UK.D-I-Y FAQ is at
The FAQ website gives background information about a diverse range of DIY topics, and guidance on formulating questions to post here that will most easily get the answers you need. For example, you should explain the background to the problem as well as asking your question.

The FAQ includes detailed information on common DIY problems in areas such as central heating, plumbing, electrical, decorating, security, plastering, and tools. It also has a reference section pointing to other useful sites and companies.

You should be aware that although replies in most cases are perfectly accurate and sensible, there are occasions when someone posts an inappropriate answer. In this case one of the regulars is very likely to post a correction, so it is always a good idea to check back later.

The FAQ makes clear that commercial advertising in the group is NOT welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. However, replies to specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying are acceptable. There is more information on commercial participation in the FAQ.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

I went to this site looking for advice and came away with a virus

Reply to
Chas

In message , Chas writes

Strange that nobody else did

... and strange that you keep recycling the same line

strangest still that you never actually ask a real question in the newsgroup

Reply to
raden

Happens to me every time I see my GP. Unhealthy places, surgeries.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher