FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how. (V.16)

X-No-Archive [Weekly posting - Archived once a month]
This is an introduction to the UK.D-I-Y newsgroup for new and experienced Do-It-Yourselfers in the United Kingdom. If you want help, or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the professionals' you are welcome to 'pick our brains'.
There is a good chance your query, or a very similar one, has already been discussed and answered by the group, so please have a look at the Google uk.d-i-y archive, and our companion website for Frequently Asked Questions (the FAQ) before posting a question here.
The Google uk.d-i-y archive is available for searching at http://tinyurl.com/65kwq and the UK.D-I-Y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk /
The FAQ website gives background information about a diverse range of DIY topics, and guidance on formulating questions to post here that will most easily get the answers you need. For example, you should explain the background to the problem as well as asking your question.
The FAQ includes detailed information on common DIY problems in areas such as central heating, plumbing, electrical, decorating, security, plastering, and tools. It also has a reference section pointing to other useful sites and companies.
You should be aware that although replies in most cases are perfectly accurate and sensible, there are occasions when someone posts an inappropriate answer. In this case one of the regulars is very likely to post a correction, so it is always a good idea to check back later.
The FAQ makes clear that commercial advertising in the group is NOT welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. However, replies to specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying are acceptable. There is more information on commercial participation in the FAQ.
Relevant commercial advertising IS acceptable in uk.d-i-y. Your advertisements should have subjects of the form "AD: Advertisement Title", and not be posted more often than once a month. Unsolicited advertising is not considered abuse.
For information on real DIY matters, see http://www.diyfaq.org.uk /
Chris Bacon wrote:

ROFL
--
Grunff

But postings by Bacon are getting perilously close.

Why are you so bothered about advertising being on-topic? You seem to spend more time complaining about the FAQ or other peoples's OT posts than anything else. Yes I know a lot of the Andy Hall/dIMM rant/counter rant gets tiresome, that Mary appears to be somewhat out of her tree a lot of the time and that ignorant people (like myself) ask non-DIY related questions but why can't you just ignore it?
Actually I don't know why I've bothered writing this as I'm sure it will be ignored by all concerned. Does anyone know of any good windmills I could tilt against?
Cheers
Mark
Mark Spice wrote:

That's not true (unless, possibly, you're reading the group in the "free" hierarchy).

Much of the time, I do.

I thought I was the one tilting at windmills? "Git orf moi windmill!".
spam

spam