FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how. (V.16)

[Weekly posting - Archived once a month]
This is an introduction to the UK.D-I-Y newsgroup for new and experienced Do-It-Yourselfers in the United Kingdom. If you want help, or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the professionals' you are welcome to 'pick our brains'.
There is a good chance your query, or a very similar one, has already been discussed and answered by the group, so please have a look at the Google uk.d-i-y archive, and our companion website for Frequently Asked Questions (the FAQ) before posting a question here.
The Google uk.d-i-y archive is available for searching at http://tinyurl.com/65kwq and the UK.D-I-Y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk /
The FAQ website gives background information about a diverse range of DIY topics, and guidance on formulating questions to post here that will most easily get the answers you need. For example, you should explain the background to the problem as well as asking your question.
The FAQ includes detailed information on common DIY problems in areas such as central heating, plumbing, electrical, decorating, security, plastering, and tools. It also has a reference section pointing to other useful sites and companies.
You should be aware that although replies in most cases are perfectly accurate and sensible, there are occasions when someone posts an inappropriate answer. In this case one of the regulars is very likely to post a correction, so it is always a good idea to check back later.
The FAQ makes clear that commercial advertising in the group is NOT welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. However, replies to specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying are acceptable. There is more information on commercial participation in the FAQ.
Phil wrote:

Commercial advertising IS welcome. Advertisements should have subjects of the form "AD: Advertisement Title", and not be posted more often than once a month. Unsolicited advertising is not considered abuse, and any reports of abuse sent to the advertisers ISP may be countered with this (now) frequently posted article.
Chris Bacon wrote:

But you are just about the only person here who holds this view.
--
Grunff

Oh God...is he *still* here, banging on about that?
On 2 May 2006 13:13:27 +0200, in uk.d-i-y Chris Bacon

Chris,
As you are the only one asking for this change, and there have been a number of objections to it, I'm sorry but I will not be revising the text to reflect it at this time.
Phil Addison wrote:

Phil,
I am not now asking for a change, and I have not recently asked for a change. I am stating another viewpoint, which will be re-stated at regular intervals. It does not now matter what the wording of your FAQ is. Commercial advertising is welcome in uk.d-i-y, see below:-
"Commercial advertising IS welcome. Advertisements should have subjects of the form "AD: Advertisement Title", and not be posted more often than once a month. Unsolicited advertising is not considered abuse, and any reports of abuse sent to the advertisers ISP may be countered with this (now) frequently posted article"
HTH.
On 2 May 2006 16:59:44 +0200, in uk.d-i-y Chris Bacon

I see; so you plan to put out an alternative FAQ posting. Are you going to build, maintain and fund an alternative FAQ website as well? Failing that how about giving a positive contribution to the FAQ, there are several areas waiting for updates and new sections.
spam

spam
On Sat, 6 May 2006 00:18:34 +0100, "Heliotrope Smith"
s'not. Goodstuff. Snip!