false chimney breast

I am about to build a false chimney breast in our living room and origionally planned to use plasterboard which would then be skimmed. Plan B which I am now favouring, would use plywood instead. Any thoughts, pro's and cons.
Is it ok to wallpaper over ply?
Thanks in advance Eric

and
Plywood may shrink or warp. Other options include MDF or hardboard. TonyB