Failed Oven

The oven on my (Liesure Double 90) electric cooker has failed.

I suspect the element, but the symptoms are:

- Blew the trip when oven previously switched on (OK now).

- No fan or red light when oven is switched on.

I think the thermostat is OK but am puzzled that the 'warming-up' light and fan don't come on. Is that normal for a failed element?

Any suggestions, how to remove screws which seem siezed at the back of the oven, to get at the main element?

Many thanks, Roger

Reply to
rogher

I'm not familiar with your oven, but some are wired via a 13A plug and socket or a switched fused spur (often hidden behind the oven!). You say the trip went but is this a dedicated spur or a ring? It is not uncommon to either blow the fuse and/or the trip, check the fuse I would expect the fan and indicator to work.

Try a bit of WD40 and then tighten (slightly) the screws then undo.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Check to see if the oven light bulb has blown. I've had that take out a 32A MCB in addition to the plug top fuse.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I should've said that the rest of the oven works OK. When I get through the gunge at the back, to the element, I hope to be able to see if it's failed. It just seemed strange that both fan and neon light fail to work too. Roger

Reply to
rogher

Several ovens I've tinkered with over the years use two 110 volt elements in series. One each side. Only one tends to fail but usually worth changing both unless your are on a tight budget. Make sure the eletrical connections are really tight. There is a failure mechanism where a poor contact causes a heat build up which makes the contact less springy and it gets hotter and so on going from bad to worse until it partially melts. Best solution is to cut the spade connectors off and use the inner metal piece of a terminal block (remove the plastic) and tighten the screws very tightly.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

you have reset the clock haven't you, assuming you have a timer on the oven. My oven will not work unless the clock is set after a power cut.

Reply to
critcher