Extractor fan

I have a 12v extractor fan (it says 12v on it although it's wired into the mains) in the loo which used to work fine, then it started buzzing when switched on and didn't start turning straight away, and now it doesn't work at all.

The fan unit does not appear to be getting current but I can't decide where the transformer is which provides the 12 volts. Presumably not in the fan unit (electrical safety). And it doesn't seem to be in the switch unit.So it's difficult to see where the failure is.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

It is more likely to be a failed fan rather than a failed transformer. If you have a multimter then test the terminals on the fan to see what voltage is present (12 volt ac is to be expected if the fan is low voltage)

The transformer is usually in the loft if the room is on the top floor (although it has been known for some people to hide them under the floorboards etc)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth