Extending electric wire under floor board getting crushed...

Hi, Today a floorboard upstair in the hallway got cracked and I decided to buy a new length of board an replace it. After lifting the carpet and removing the damaged wood, I discovered that there was a electric wire (the thick grey type) being crushed between a central heater pipe and the damaged board. Also the wire looks like it was melting away due to heat caused by the central heater pipe.
I have decided to extend the wire using the same type of wire. I need advice on wether the course of action I will be taking tommorow is correct and safe. Any help is much appreciated.
So basically I will be purchasong 2 electic junction boxes that will connect the old wire with the new wire to extend it and attach it to the floor beam away and under the pipe.
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIInew floor boardIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII =========================netral heater pipe=========================____old wire _____ [ junction box ] ____new wire_____[ junction box ]____old wire_____
Apart from turning off the main power, is there any other pracuation I should take. Plus I believe the wire is connected directly to the main power supply in the celler and provides all the power upstairs. Is there any special junction box that I need to buy that can hannd all the power.
I would be most greatful if you could kindly provide any help and re-assurance that this course of acction is right.
:)

sure they are really dead. Some amateurs have been known to bypass main boxes and thus the wires could still be live. Unlikely, but not worth the risk IMO! TonyB

Joint boxes may only be used where they are accessible; therefore they may not be used under the floorboards. The correct method is to use cable splices.

Under floorboards is not considered inaccessible.
Adam

protecting the cable. You need a 30 amp juction box for a 30 amp rated MCB etc.
Adam