Ethernet ports

Having almost forgotten until it's too late (polyfoam walling is going up on Sunday in the garage), I went out and bought a load of Ethernet cable to wire up the garage.

I know that the wall sockets I want to use will effectively just screw into normal backboxes etc. But are there any requirements/best practices about the height of the ethernet sockets?

I was thinking 'same height as power sockets', but with the cabling running somewhat nearer the floor, to keep interference at a minimum, just rising to the outlet vertically. That said, if I then wanted to mount my Ethernet socket in-between my power sockets, I'm going to have a 2.5mm ring cable passing the rear of my Ethernet socket, as the power circuit runs horizontally between sockets on the same wall.

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

I'd place them wherever is easiest for you. If you're not going to be unplugging and plugging cables in they can be discreet and out of sight ... if you need regular access then make them easy to get at.

I've never experienced any problems with interference from electrical cable sharing the same trunking as Ethernet. If you look at most modern offices they tend to have trunking around the office walls just above desk height with electric, computer and telecommunication sockets.

Reply to
Ash

OK - thanks Ash.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

If you'd seen the spaghetti under our false floor at work you'd never worry about cross-talk again.

Big heaps of mixed cables scattered all over the place, and no problems at all.

Or at least there weren't until the aircon dumped all its cooling water over it all. 40 grand of damage...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Oops! Nice.

I must admit, I had seen the spaghetti at work before, but then again, the network is so dire there, that I doubt performance was their main goal.

Anyway, I have now wired at the same height and alongside the ring cable. Much neater, and with the 400mm saving I made on one length (with no vertical risers), it let me use a bit of cable that would otherwise have gone to waste.

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth