Ethernet cabling

I'm ready to wire the ethernet sockets into the garage conversion, but I note that the instructions talk of a type A and a type B wiring. Does it matter which I go for, as long as I use the same throughout?
Thanks
John

I use type A but it doesn't really matter as long as both ends are the same. TLC have a nice colour chart at: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Networking/Networking.htm
Useful to print out and keep to hand - I don't do enough (family and friends only) to remember the colours!
Peter

Thanks guys. I've gone for Type A - it's easier to remember.
JW
John Whitworth wrote:

I use type B as I find it easier with my fat fingers.......

How's that?
John Whitworth wrote:

It's all explained on the Wiki under Wookiee.
Andy
John Whitworth wrote:

Because you don't want to untwist the pairs more than a few mm, and then get them all lined up and into the connectors. More of a problem if making fly leads rather than back boxes.
Remember when installing the cables you do not want ANY tight bends or it will degrade the signal.

Ah, I see.
I don't think I've got any tight bends - it's all behind a plastered wall now though! :-/
JW
On 28/11/2009 10:52, John Whitworth wrote:

It doesn't really matter, but the standard in Britain is normally 568 -B.
The colour code for that is
1 White/Orange 2 Orange/White 3 White/Green 4 Blue/White 5 White/Blue 6 Green/White 7 White/Brown 8 Brown/White
It might be worth considering using Cat 6 or Cat 6A to give faster speeds in the future, rather than the standard Cat 5e. There is also Cat 7 and fibre, but that is a bit overkill for residential.
--
Regards
Eednud.