Ethernet cabling

I'm ready to wire the ethernet sockets into the garage conversion, but I note that the instructions talk of a type A and a type B wiring. Does it matter which I go for, as long as I use the same throughout?

Thanks

John

Reply to
John Whitworth

I use type A but it doesn't really matter as long as both ends are the same. TLC have a nice colour chart at:

Useful to print out and keep to hand - I don't do enough (family and friends only) to remember the colours!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

It doesn't really matter, but the standard in Britain is normally 568 -B.

The colour code for that is

1 White/Orange 2 Orange/White 3 White/Green 4 Blue/White 5 White/Blue 6 Green/White 7 White/Brown 8 Brown/White

It might be worth considering using Cat 6 or Cat 6A to give faster speeds in the future, rather than the standard Cat 5e. There is also Cat 7 and fibre, but that is a bit overkill for residential.

Reply to
Eednud

Thanks guys. I've gone for Type A - it's easier to remember.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

I use type B as I find it easier with my fat fingers.......

Reply to
Chewbacca

How's that?

Reply to
John Whitworth

It's all explained on the Wiki under Wookiee.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Because you don't want to untwist the pairs more than a few mm, and then get them all lined up and into the connectors. More of a problem if making fly leads rather than back boxes.

Remember when installing the cables you do not want ANY tight bends or it will degrade the signal.

Reply to
Chewbacca

Ah, I see.

I don't think I've got any tight bends - it's all behind a plastered wall now though! :-/

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth