Engineered wood Floor

I live in an old Victorian property. The floor is pine boards. I want to lay an engineered wood floor but there is a dip of about 5-10mm at the foot of the stairs. I have been told that if I don't nail this area but just leave it, the board will settle over time. Is that right or should I put some battens down?