Energy Saving Light Bulbs ?

For some years now, we have had a standard lamp and a small table lamp in the lounge both with low wattage energy saving light bulbs in, plugged into a time switch then plugged into the wall socket.
Just been looking through a catalogue and it says I quote; "Not suitable for use with dimmers, time switches and photo cells"
Anyone like to tell me why.
I was thinking of taking the bulb out of the outside light which is also run off a timeswitch and replacing it with a LE ESLB.
--
the_constructor

the_constructor wrote:

I can only assume they're prohibiting modern wholly electronic time switches where the switch is a semiconductor device, just like a dimmer, which have problems with loads which aren't purely resistive. However, if your time switch is the older type with a relay or cam-driver mechanical switch which is effectively no different to a wall switch, I can't see why it shouldn't work. Indeed, I have two ES bulbs on such a timer myself for a Christmas display.
Chris
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Some time switches and photo cells power themselves through the filament even when the bulb is off. This means they don't need a neutral connection and can be used in place of a light switch. This doesn't work with compact fluorescent though. Your timeswitch presumably has a neutral connection and doesn't power itself through the lamp, so it should be OK.

Depends what type of timeswitch.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

Reading through the replies (and they are varied) this is the correct one (IMO).
What you may find, with electronic timers and LE bulbs, is that even when off, the lamp will give a quick flash now and then. This happens as charge builds up in the electronics of the lamp, until it reaches striking voltage, then flashes to release the charge.
-- JJ

That might happen. I don't know about it being "The correct one".
If the timeswitch requires a mains supply which it can only get through the lamp (typical 2 wire setup, lamp and timeswitch in series) and the LE lamp when off does not pass enough current to sustain the time switch then the net result will be a total failure to operate not some minor nuisance flickering.
DG
Jason wrote:

drawn through the ELS lamp to operate the electronics of the more sophisticated timers. Cheapo timers which use the neutral and switch a relay will be ok.
--
Malc

"AFB Mr Tracey."
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 16:06:49 -0000 someone who may be

What sort of timeswitch?
I can think of a few outslide energy saving lights that are controlled by a timeswitch and photocell, which have worked for over a decade.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 16:06:49 -0000, the_constructor wrote:

For want of better description the lectronics of a dimmer will "fight" with the elctronics of the CFL. CFLs don't like short cycles which could be generated by "time switches", which covers things like push for light communal hallway switches, or photo cells. If your time switches turn on for several hours at a stretch I shouldn't worry about it.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

They are not for electronic timeswitches, as they may malfunction. Cheap mechanical ones will work fine.

Oh goody. Mine are the cheapo's.
Thanks everyone
--
the_constructor