energy saving bulbs

I've found that the General Electric brand of bulbs are about half the price of Phillips ones. Is there any significant difference in quality?

thanks tony

Reply to
tony

I don't know about quality but when Netto sells Phillips 18w -100 watt equivalent- for 49 p.and Asda sell phillips 18w for 47p.(Asda don't keep many out ,but netto have boxes) why worry?

Reply to
davej

Talking of energy saving light bulbs. Are they really as good as a 100w standard light bulb. I ask because we have them all over the house and they always seem to be darker or is it just a softer light.

Reply to
the_constructor

They are definitely less bright. I did some checks years ago in a near integrating sphere, and it's not your imagination.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

They are compared against softtone filament lamps, not regular GLS ones. This really should be stamped out as it creates a bad first impression, which in many cases puts people off them completely. Meanwhile, I usually suggest people ignore the quoted equivalent filament lamp, and just use a 4:1 ratio.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

One problem I've found is that Homebase & Osram CFL lamps BC caps, amongst others will not fit in newer light fittings as the shield (part that screws down to clamp lightshade) is taller than on older fittings.

I guess this happened due to some electrical safety reg change.

messagenews:45409986$0$8735$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...

Reply to
Gel

That's a bit stupid isn't it. Either the bulb manufacturers have cocked up or the light fitting designers.

Reply to
malc

Energy savings bulbs are longer that nordinary ones.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

My house is all energy saver bulbs and is not bright -4 to 1 ratio sounds better. I've seen energy efficient bolbs up to 425 watt equivalent.

Reply to
davej