Energy Monitoring

Think I may take a trip down to Lidl on Thursday 12th Feb and buy one of these ...

Anyone bought anything similar and would I be best just buy the one which clips to the electric meter and has a portable display/calculator?

Ash

Reply to
Ash

the unit you plug into a single apliance is more accurate, but only for one or a couple of items plugged into it, i found that after i'd been round and got the energy usage figures for the things that plug in, i didnt use it again,

the whole house monitor is much more use to me, as it measures lights, boiler and other things that are hard wired in, and keeps totals,

i got the 'current cost' one, bloody brilliant, parents have the owl one, and think it's crap, and i agree comparing it when my current cost meter,

the one i have can be connected to the computer to keep a long term log of energy usage, but even it's display is easy to read, a quick glance now says i'm using :

182 watts, costing me 54p a day, £16 a month, and it had just gone up by 30 watts, didnt look at the cost of that increase... Gf has just turned a light on.

I have used 4Kwh in the last 24 hours, 28Kwh in the last week, and 139 Kwh the last month.

What i like best about this meter, there's no crappy co2 reading claiming your killing the plannet like the damn owl monitor has, thats just useless info, people want to know the price in pounds, not how much co2 they make (people produce more co2 preaching about climate change than you do running your house :)

Also, the current cost meter is a lot more sensative than the owl i found, at my parents house they can turn lights on, and it dosent even register them, here even a single 8watt cfl is registered,

Reply to
gazz

Hi Gazz, I am not sure if my news reader is only picking up part of the thread and hence I cannot see earlier comments but can you tell me what make / model monitor you are using? or web address of the manufacturer?

Thanks,

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Hi Gazz

Where did you buy yours from and what sort of price is it and does it have a model / reference number etc ....

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Anyone know what make / model number Gazz is talking about ... sounds like a fun bit of kit to produce some serious energy monitoring.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Could it be one of these ?

Ash

sorry been away for a bit,

it's the current cost energy monitor,

gazz

What software did you download and is it easy to install? Any pointers to watch out for? I've had a quick look at the sight and whilst it allows for downloading the software there's no set-up instructions.

Ash

Reply to
Ash