Electricity Substations

Page 2 of 2

Gah. Don't like top-posting, but that's the way this thread is :(
The guys who design these things spend _ages_ minimising those very losses. Every watt that leaks out of the side is one they can't sell!
BTW - Gauss, not Gause. Worthy as Gause was he didn't have the same impact as Gauss!
Andy
John Whitworth wrote:

never was any gud at spelin English grade C physics A+ and I recall a guy called Eddie had a hand in it to (efficiency that is)
Apologies for spelling CJ

Domestic supply substation 40ft away is a non-event.
About a mile from me a pub & house are within 100ft of a power station Tx the size of a house. - The only ill effects they find are the perpetual rain and incredible frost displays caused by the output from 8 cooling towers, combining with fog from the nearby estuary. - The bigger effect in the area is likely to be from its coal burning - with old stations the arsenic concentrations were higher in the prevailing wind fallout path. Arsenic is known to reduce resistance to viruses (the outfall from the chimney will not drop on them as they are basically in the carpark).
In the UK it is not unknown to get a Tx stuck virtually in your front garden with no building around it. Very ugly and more typical of industrial locations (AEI 1MVA supplying adjacent small industrial units). So you are some distance away.
The thing I would not like is 132-400kV overhead lines directly over a house. Hold up a fluorescent stick light bulb for the energy radiation. The radiation from holding a mobile phone aerial against your head is far greater than your substation.
A lot of nuclear exposure research found whilst dosage is accumulative, small dosages have disproportionately LESS effect than high levels. It is quite possible the same applies to EM radiation. Away from the heat of a nuke, sheltered from the immediate radiation, a nuke is less horrific than people are led to believe. The problem is the wind direction in theatre re wind borne fallout on your troops (good deterrent).

Thanks all, for your responses. I will stop worrying about it! :-)
Cheers
JW