electricity bill

Guys, I recently checked my meter for input onto PowerGen website and they said that it seems very high and had I made a mistake. I used over 1000 units in a quarter (Feb - May). In checking my meter the last few days, I've noticed I am consuming 17 units per day. 20p per unit = ฃ3.40 = 23.80 per week !!! OK, not anything to worry Bill Gates but I think that seems a lot.
This is a sudden leap,a lot more than my winter bill.
I do not have electric heating, my water is on gas and I cannot think of anything profligate with electricity. We do have a lot of stuff on standby though. My son has TV, video, DVD, Xbox all on standby. We have 3 fridges also. Security lights seems to come on a lot at night too. My missus seems to watch a lot of TV lately too.
I know I have some experimeting to do here but does this bill seem high to you guys? We have a five bedroom house, two shower rooms.
Regards, Steve
Add pictures here
โœ–
Kaiser Sose wrote:

Assuming a unit is kWh, what frightens me is your 20p unit cost !
Add pictures here
โœ–
"Kaiser Sose" wrote:

20p a unit? Who are you buying your electricity from, Harrods? I pay about 11p a unit.
Add pictures here
โœ–
"DIY" <secret> wrote in message

Yup. 10.84p/Kwh here.
Steve
Add pictures here
โœ–

FWIW I just moved mine from Powergen to BritishG. Powergen is very expensive now
Add pictures here
โœ–
Kaiser Sose wrote:

You could certainly reduce your consumption a bit - but, as the others have said, your real problem is the excessive cost per unit. Have a look on: http://www.simplyswitch.com/index.html?site=cj
and find a cheaper supplier - it's very easy to change over.
Add pictures here
โœ–

I have had this for the last year. We have used almost exactly 1000 units a quarter for years and in May last year it suddenly jumped by 35% with no household changes. We have still not identified the cause.
My meter has the spinning disk and is very sensitive to small use, so we can experiment, but with little luck.
You appear to infer that you have more than one security light and they are on a lot. Don't forget the loading on each of them is large and might account for a lot of your use.
Add pictures here
โœ–

unit. It is also worth checking that a loft light has not been left on (400Watts in my loft) and if you do have an electric immersion heater check that it has not accidently been turned on. Other than that test the meter. Turn everything off make sure the meter is not spinning and then run only one appliance of a known power rating, say a 3kW heater for 20 minutes and check that only one unit is used.
HTH
Adam
Add pictures here
โœ–

It happened to me a few years ago - eventually I tracked it down to the chest freezer where the thermostat knob was broken and although set for mid temperature it was nearly on max freeze!
Peter
Add pictures here
โœ–