electricity

Can we win, I have power saving bulbs, I don't use half as much electricity as I used to. I am very careful. But it seems to me that if everyone is doing this, the power companies would lose out. So they put their tarrifs up. They can't lose

Reply to
remove

Spot on!!!!

As with water meters,the eventual result is for the companies to acquire the ability to fine trim their profits.

Smart meters will also enable the application of carbon taxes/ rolling brownouts when our total lack of an energy policy bears it's inevitable fruits.

Remember where you read it first!

Reply to
Francis

I'm sure they won't lose - but electricity is cheaper for lower overall demand levels than when everyone is asking for more (the capital cost of adding new generating capacity is huge; and the switchable generators are expensive per Unit).

Sure, the retailers' margin per Unit would need to rise - but that isn't the same as the per Unit selling price having to rise.

Unfortunately, many retail tarrifs still charge a premium for the first so-many units - which sends entirely the wrong message to the consumer.

Well - a meter has cut our water & waste bills by 65% (and yes - we shower every day, water the garden in summer etc)

Totally agree (except for the apostrophe ;-) ) - esp re nuclear. Sadly, people believe the scare stories, and politicians are always short-termist. Nuclear is plentiful, once the infrastructure is in place (and plant renewals handled properly) - and true all-up cost will compare favourably with alternatives in the long term (40 - 100 years).

Reply to
Martin