Electrician Charges

Hello,
Just had an electrician out to wire the base unit of a wireless room thermostat. He was here for just under 1 hour. Is there a standard charge for this type of visit please? I would like to be prepared for when the bill arrives.
Many thanks for any replies.

P.S. Labour only. I supplied the box.
wrote in message news:...

Shouldn't you have found this out before using his services?

Yes some people might. But for such a small job I was happy to take my chances, safe in the knowledge that he is only entitled to charge a "reasonable" rate for the work. That is why I am asking the question now - to see what the reasonable band might be. I felt he would think it pedantic to ask for a quote in advance for this, and I have had trouble getting anyone to come out so did not want to scare him off.

labour charges for various washing machines, which appear to be between 80 - 100, not including parts, (unless parts covered by guarantee). So I suppose the electrician could argue 70 - 100 was reasonable, as that is what some washing machine manufacturers are charging for similar work. http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/manufacturer-charges.html

In which case why not ask him when he turns up? What happens if you find (for example) that he`s actually incredibly highly qualified and charges much more than average for his abilities (whether those abilities are relevant to the job he did for you or not)?

Because that is even worse. I couldn't exactly call him out then ask how much and turn him back again. Whatever he said I would feel obliged to agree to.

He is entitled to a "reasonable rate" but that means for the job, not based on his qualifications. I phoned him because he advertised himself as an electrician. If he happens to be a lawyer too, he can still only charge for being an electrician.

My solicitor charges 285 + vat per hour.
Adam

That is around twice what we pay in Scotland for a very good one!
wrote in message news:...

Anywhere between 30 to 80 depending upon where you live. Plus vat .
Adam

B&Q are charging 60 per hour (first hour) for their handyman service.
Peter
I would have charged you 65 & a cup of tea
Going rate for the sparky i use is 80 to fit wireless stat & mains power to a new boiler. Id expect your bill no more than 50, assuming he came out in "normal" working hours.
--

Richard

www.fullflow-plumbing.co.uk
Thanks for this (and for all the replies).
L.

But do let us all know the outcome!
John

Invoice of 29 plus materials (73p) plus VAT = 34.93
This is very fair. However the same electrician was "sub-contracted" to do a job for me by a firm of plumbers about a year ago, and they charged me around double that rate for his work, and charged a pretty generous amount of time too! This is what prompted my OP.
I will use this sparky again, but won't go near the plumbers!!
Thanks again.

Lorenzo, it might be worth getting in touch with the plumber that you used, asking them why they charged you so much for the electrician, when he obviously did not charge them that amount. I work for a plumbers merchant's and we hear of things like this all tie time.
It would be interesting just to see what they say, as you have no intention of using them again, so you have nothing to lose. The thing is, it might stop them charging over inflated rates for work "they" did not actually do.