electrical question

Hi
I bought a 4 spot light (on a metal bar) fitting this weekend and the terminal block has L N E as expected. When I took away the old ceiling rose the cable only has L N, it would seem to be a spur not a ring. So, can this fitting not be used ?
MTIA Steve

No it can't, because you've got no earth. You are limited to double insulated light fittings with no earth connection (and likewise, only plastic light switches).
You might just want to double check that the earth wire hasn't been cut off flush with the cable sheath. However, if the wiring is old rubber, then you don't want to touch it at all, until you've had it rewired. Do you know the age of the wiring installation?
BTW, lighting circuits are not rings and hence the concept of spurs has no meaning. They are radial circuits.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Hi Andrew
Thanks for your information.
I do have a plastic switch, and unfortunately there is no cut off earth, the house is 18 years old but the room (now a utility/junk room) was a garage. I am not sure if the cable is original, I suspect not it's white sheath and seems to me quite slim, I mean it's not the thick grey stuff that I have seen before.
Please could you expand for me on "You are limited to

Cheers
Steve
writes:

PS- Andrew - with this 'thin' cable, is it possible to speculate as to what the max wattage bulb I can safely put in. I can't re-wire,... well I can but I would have to wreck a very nice artex ceiling
Steve
writes:

writes:

if your referring to twin and earth cable as thick grey stuff I would get an electrician in.
writes:

a house 22years ago and all the new cabling was twin and earth. I think it was required within the regulations.
writes:

Yes, I think so too. All the other lights are ok (AFAIK) but as I said this is a garage conversion, so it looks like somebody just put in any old cable then plastered up a ceiling
Steve