ELECTRICAL jUNCTION BOXES UNDER FLOORS

My newly aquired Edwardian semi has obviously had some various wiring incarnations in it's time with occasional remnants of rubber covered cable around but not used. All cable is now T&E grey PVC but some of both the lighting and the rings cabling are connected to junction boxes under the floor boards. I believe the wiring regs say that all terminations are to be accessible. Does this mean that junction boxes under the floor are not allowed? Following on from this I personally don't like hidden connections, especially on rings under wooden floors, and feel they are a possible overheating site, and fire risk. What does the panel feel, getting rid of them would mean extensive rewiring and destruction of nice decoration.
dave

It all depends upon what you call accessible. Lifting some carpet and a floorboard that has already been lifted up before is accessible in my opinion. If you then lay tiles or built in furniture on top of the floor boards and I would class the junction box as inaccessible.
Following on from this I personally don't like hidden connections,

A socket on a ring main is nothing more than a juction box. If the junction boxes are installed correctly I see no problem.
The frequent use of juction boxes on a ring main is often a sign of added spurs. Are you sure that the ring mains are up to scratch?
Adam
Thanks for your reply:
I appreciate what you say about sockets being just glorified junction boxes, the difference I feel is that poor connections on a socket are likely to be noticed wheras under floor boards and carpets or in lofts the problem is likely to go unoticed until flames result. maybe I am just a pessamist.
As far as the ring juction boxes go it looks like they were used to extend the ring at various times rather than being used for spur take off.
Dave

With regards to junction boxes, there really is some junk on the market. Tried a few in the past which literally fell to pieces, so now if I have to use any, I only get the more expensive ones. Certainly a case of, you get what you pay for. -- troubleinstore
If you are going to use a junction box it is better to fit a larger rated one.
| >>> My newly aquired Edwardian semi has obviously had some various wiring | >>> incarnations in it's time with occasional remnants of rubber covered | >>> cable around but not used. All cable is now T&E grey PVC but some of | >>> both the lighting and the rings cabling are connected to junction boxes | >>> under the floor boards. I believe the wiring regs say that all | >>> terminations are to be accessible. Does this mean that junction boxes | >>> under the floor are not allowed? | >> | >> It all depends upon what you call accessible. Lifting some carpet and a | >> floorboard that has already been lifted up before is accessible in my | >> opinion. If you then lay tiles or built in furniture on top of the floor | >> boards and I would class the junction box as inaccessible. | >> | >> Following on from this I personally don't like hidden connections, | >>> especially on rings under wooden floors, and feel they are a possible | >>> overheating site, and fire risk. What does the panel feel, getting rid | >>> of them would mean extensive rewiring and destruction of nice | >>> decoration. | >> | >> | >> A socket on a ring main is nothing more than a juction box. If the | >> junction boxes are installed correctly I see no problem. | >> | >> The frequent use of juction boxes on a ring main is often a sign of added | >> spurs. Are you sure that the ring mains are up to scratch? | >> | >> Adam | | With regards to junction boxes, there really is some junk on the market. | Tried a few in the past which literally fell to pieces, so now if I have to | use any, I only get the more expensive ones. Certainly a case of, you get | what you pay for. | -- | troubleinstore | |