Electrical - How wierd is this ..... ?

A friend moved into his house about 5 years ago and has been using a plug socket that was in the corner of the room above a brick built extended fireplace, for his TV, video and lamp.

He decided to remove the extended fireplace and at the same time move the socket, which he later found was fed by a flex from a point just above the skirting behind the bricks.

New piece of twin & earth was purchased and the job was done.

That was the easy bit. Now whenever he uses the plug socket, his next door neighbour has to switch her mains back on at the consumer unit because it has tripped.

His house is fed from an overhead cable which then loops from his house to his neighbours. Other next door neighbour is not affected.

He purchased a new socket and still the problem persists.

An electrician told his neighbour that it would cost her £140 for a new consumer unit.

How wierd is this ..... ?

I think I will have to go round and do a few checks.

Reply to
news

and there's an earth loop fault?

Reply to
Part P

It is possible that the houses are on a TT or TNC-S supply, but unlikely to be a TNS as the cables are overhead.

I would guess that both the houses are still wired as TT systems even if the supply is TNC-S and that close proximity of the earth rods and a live earth fault is causing an ELCB not an RCD to trip.

It is only a guess with so little available details.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth