Electrical Home DIY

Just changed some plug socket fronts and light switches in the house. Been told it is now against the law and I will need them checked. Is this true and ,do I ask a sparky and how much will they charged. I know I can just forget the whole thing but I am hoping to sell the house soon. Could it cause problems.....Cheers Kev
Just changed some plug socket fronts and light switches in the house. Been told it is now against the law and I will need them checked. Is this true and ,do I ask a sparky and how much will they charged. I know I can just forget the whole thing but I am hoping to sell the house soon. Could it cause problems.....Cheers Kev
Technically speaking, and setting aside the building regulation part P. Legislation would require you to show 'due diligence' by consulting the the non-statory documents BS7671, Guidance note 3 whilst taking into account the Electricity at Work Regulations of 1989.
A 'minor works certificate' should be issued for this work. Issued by a competatant person signed by a duty holder. As you are disconnecting your CPC (earth leads in the ring or radial circuit) and your phase conductor, going by the suggestion of best practice the law would expect you to re-check that the earth loop impedance has not changed, that the continuity of the earth and other conductors is intact, and that you have not reversed the polarity of the conductors when refitting. It would be unlikely that the insulation resistance will have changed but I guess for completeness you should check that too.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) (Amazon.com product link shortened)43875378/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_1/202-4525424-7563040 (Amazon.com product link shortened)43875447/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/202-4525424-7563040
Most people would just change the sockets and light fittings themself and forget about it. If you are about to sell the house the buyer might request to see all documentation regarding the electrical installation within your house. If you have none of this information the best way is to have a 'periodic inspection' (which should be carried out on a house every 10 years) done. This will cover all of the above anyway.
Regards G

Kevin Howell wrote:

If you have been competent at changing the sockets/switches then tell no one.
Changing these is not rocket science and if you have secured the wiring in the terminals and there is no failure of lights/appliances then fine.
But the word of the day is...Competent. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Is it not that sparky must be employed for 'major' works and 'minor' diy is ok?

Peter wrote:

There's nothing in the rules to say you cannot do the major work yourself,but this entails getting a sparks in to pass the work,however changing the sockets&light switches who's to know? That what you meant.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

EXCEPT in kitchens, bathrooms, outside or C.U. Anyway, MOST electricians are not P regged (or ever will be) but, will still fill in the installation/test/whatever forms and give em' to you. There is NO way you will be bothered by building control - EVER.
Thanks for all your replies. I will sleep better on the info. Kev