Electrical bodge pictures

Just added a new gallery - enjoy.
http://www.dodgy-diy.net/electric/gallery6.htm

ROFL!!! Tradesmen, eh? ROFL!!!
BigWallop wrote:

"Aerial coax in the same run as the power cables, not sure if this is against regs, but is certainly a wonderful way of coupling impulsive noise from the mains onto the TV signal."
no its not, co-ax is used for a reason. Also theres not a whole lot on the mains wires at UHF, too much capacitance everywhere.
To suggest that running tv coax near mains would be a bad bodge would simply show you to be as half-clued as the people whose work you picture.
"If in any doubt, always consult a suitably qualified tradesman."
Like for example the ones that did the work you picture.
Your started this anti diy site to drum up trade, by scaring people off doing diy, but you're finding it so hard to find dodgy diy that you're making it a dodgy tradesman site instead - while still calling it dodgy diy. Typical.
NT
Interesting.
OK - so you don't like the site. I get the message. You do make some valid points, but are completely wrong about the reason I started the site.

I don't see how a small website would ever scare off people from doing DIY. Part "P" isn't going to, so nor is a small website. The idea of the site is to interest and amuse people more than anything.
The first few pictures I had were in fact DIY jobs. Therefore when I started the site I imagined that the main contributors would be professionals submitting pictures of DIY. So consequently, at the time it seemed logical to name the site dodgy-diy. However, it didn't turn out that way in the end. Currently most of what is submitted is pictures of work done by so-called professionals. I didn't know that was going to happen - hindsight is a wonderful thing.
As I said, although you clearly hate the site, I feel that you make some valid points. I'm open to comments and criticism and there are a couple of things I will do based on your comments.
Firstly, as the site has moved towards "dodgy tradesmen" as you put it, it's clearly right to change the titles on the site, and any text that also needs to be changed accordingly. I hope that I get DIY examples sent in too, but I will make sure the site reflects the perpetrators more accurately. The URL won't be changing, and I will do the work as soon as I come up with a more appropriate title.
Secondly, I will change the disclaimer. You are quite right to point out that advising people to contact a qualified tradesman when in most cases the bodge has been done by one is clearly daft.
I only added the disclaimer after showing the site to an American friend who couldn't see anything whatsoever wrong with some of the work done - he just had lots of admiration for them for taking on home repairs! I felt it was right to point out that these were examples of how NOT to do jobs.

DIY.
is
started
end.
it's
needs
the
who
just
Keep up the good work on your site. With being in the construction industry, I find it most amusing as well as interesting. I have submited photos under the name of Tony Green as an alais. It never amazes what professonals get away with, even in my own trade of roof Sating & Tiling.
Keith Nottm

valid
off
dodgy
logical
so-called
of
but
URL
more
was
Just corrected a spelling mistake (Sating)
David wrote:

valid
I do like some, just not the message its delivering.

doing DIY.

I have to say it looks like an old well worn forumla: 1. look how scary diying is 2. im a professional, pay me and youre safe And that message is stated on page after page: look how dodgy diy is, followed by consult a professional. That really is my prime beef with it.

started
logical
the end.

so-called
OK, sounds a fair point. But as it stands I think its misleading, representing pro bodges as dodgy diy. You could add page headings that make it clear these are dodgy pro work not diy, I think those are needed to avoid misleading, since the site name is dodgy diy.

some
couple of

it, it's

also needs

too, but I

The URL

more
out
cases the

You may need a disclaimer legally for american viewers, but maybe recommend them to people with expertise or competent people, rather than pro as opposed to diy? Those are 2 quite different divisions.

friend who

he just

Reminds me of Mr whasthisname, the African man who built that now famous extension :)

Remarkable isnt it, that one needs to!
NT
OK, I've made changes. The URL I'm pretty well stuck with, and the slow webhost I'm temporarily stuck with, but the rest of your points I think I've addressed.
Firstly, It's now called "Dodgy Home Repairs" - sorry couldn't come up with anything more imaginative :( . Secondly, the title now only appears on the home page. Thirdly, I've reworked the text to more accurately reflect the perpetrators and the disclaimer has been reworded.
No new content to report, but I'm always grateful for more submissions.

Have you looked at cheap coax lately ?. Hardly any screen and very nearly non woven as well. Lets lots of stuff in and out.
Dave

And I've always wondered why data (coaxial, twisted-pair and the like) are always kept separated in trunking and things. Have I been doing it all wrong all these years? :-)

The answer is yes but only if the casble is not insulated to the highest voltage cable. If you look at the regs you will find it
I very much enjoyed looking at the pictures on your site. I think it's amazing what people can consider to be safe.
I think your site is a great piece of light-hearted fun, and I accept it as such.
Why do some people get so pedantic about it?
Scuzzlebut.