Electric Shower and cable size

Hi

I currently have a broken redring shower. I think it is a 8kw model as the model is a "super 8". I need to replace but the electric cable looks to be only 4mm maximum. I have read that the electric cable for modern showers (old one is 10 years old) requires a cable of up to 16mm for 10.5kw showers. Even the 8kw on sale require a 6 or 10mm cable.

Do I have to replace the cable from the shower direct to the consumer unit???????? My neighbour has had a 10.5kw shower fitted by a plumber who used the existing cable!!!!!!

Please help.

Reply to
vw-stuff

As a guide

4.0mm cable 29 amps 6.0mm 38 amps 10mm 52 amps

All depends if it is surface / in walls /. under insulation etc.

Run it back to consumer unit ./ upgrade mcb and shower pull switch.

8.5 takes around 35/36 amps.

Reply to
bob

Reply to
Gavin Parsons

Nope, go via a pull switch (45kw) situated out of reach of someone standing in the shower. then back to the consumer unit.

Reply to
Vass

That should be 45 Amps, I think. A shower rated at 45kW would need a huge cable supply to it. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

You'd only use it once - as you'd fry yourself !!!!. :-0

Reply to
Blueyonder

DOH!!!

Reply to
Vass

It would be a lovely shower though Vass. :-) Expensive to run, but lovely. LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

Presumably the plumber checked that the existing cable was heavy enough ???.

CG..

Reply to
woodglass

Would a "Plumber" know if the cable was correct? I'd much rather trust an electrician on that one. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop