Electric shower

Lst time I fitted a shower I used 10mm for a 7.4kW shower 'cos I was sure that someone sometime would want to fit a more powerful unit.

Reply to
Roland Butter

It means "to the power of". X**2 is the same as X*X

I'm also unclear when you refer

It means the actual power consumed.

Reply to
John

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments. The cable is 10mm and is in a conduit embedded in the wall. When I replaced the shower two years ago I was told that I would be OK if I kept the new shower below 10 KW hence the reason I went for 9.5 KW. The surprise to me is that has worked fine for over a year since I last replaced the fuse. Why would it all of sudden decide to blow fuses?

Reply to
Zinzan

No way. If they dropped the voltage they drop the power. That means they also drop their income from us bill payers. They ain't gonna go for that. Interestingly though their are manufacturers now rating appliances at 230V. This means that in a lot of cases they are running over powered. A 3KW fire may be running at 3.25Kw foe example.

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

Theory 1. your voltage has risen significantly within the range we mentioned. The increased current doing the damage.

Theory 2. you may have a faulty shower

Theory 3 you may have faulty wiring

get the above checked but with 10mm cable there is no problem uprating your fuse if you physically can

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

Sorry if I'm being thick John but I'm struggling to see what you either asking or telling us. Is your question rhetorical? If not then let me just say this. Power is determined by the voltage applied to the load and the resistance and or reactance of the load whether that be capacitive or inductive. In a resistive load such as the shower the reactance is negligible so the only consideration for the power consumed is P = (V/R) * V where (V/R) is the current and V is the voltage. End of story.

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

Are the fuses going with a big bang? If so I would suggest a faulty shower or a damaged wire.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
Gavin Parsons

Hi Adam

The fuse box is downstairs from the shower but there has been no noise when it does blow. When I replace it the old fuse is just a but hot. I am getting an electrician to look at it so hopefully he will get to the bottom of it. It always seems to be at this time of year as it did it last year at this time and the year before. That is why I suspected that it may have had something to with the water temperature that is feeding the shower. Today was a milder morning and everyone in the house had a shower successfully without the fuses blowing. It beats me what is going on, but hopefully the electrician will get to the bottom of it.

Billy

Reply to
Zinzan

Hi People,

How do we know it is the shower?

Regards Micky

Reply to
Sandy Savage

I'm fairly sure they changed it. Or at leas, they changed the spec but left the existing value within tolerances.

I've just gone and measured mine with two different DVMs - both reading

247 or 248 volts. Make of that what you will. Perhaps being only a couple of miles from Buildwas power station has something to do with it.
Reply to
Roland Butter