Electric screwdrivers

Yeah... but...

Replacement battery for mine is pushing 50 quid. So it sits in the drawer, gathering dust. Check the prices of the replacements, as well as the availability!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I'd go for 14.4v minimum. All my stuff is Makita, but I use it every day - you may not need such quality.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Unless you spend a fair bit a combi is not very good as a hammer drill, better to get a 12v drill driver and a (say) 600w SDS for holes in hard walls. If you use a mains drill to drive screws, take care as it's dead easy to snap the heads off.

Reply to
Chewbacca

You are spot on with the 18V Makita it's a superb bit of kit as are the twin 14v versions, I got the B&Q promoted ones, the 18V included a huge accessory kit and two batteries. The 14V twin kit is stll in store at under =A390, not sure about the 18s Someone mentioned screwdriving using a drill but this is gash and not really to be recommended except for the odd job. You need a drill/ diver with torque control otherwise you risk snapping off the screw head or the driver bit. I would always recommend buying the best quality tools that you can afford as cheap tools cause frustration when you find out they are not up to the job. An 18v cordless driver will tighten screws far more than you could ever do by hand.

Reply to
AJH

For me, I prefer a 12v drill driver for diy as it is smaller and easier to get into tight spaces like kitchen and bedroom cupboards etc. I still don't think that a DIY grade battery combi is much good for drilling holes in brick & block walls and a 600w SDS is so much faster.

Reply to
Chewbacca

no longer

The 12V type are ok but the Makita 14V ones are the same size as a

12V but more powerful. I've got several drills/drivers and they all come in handy at times depending on the job, the Quattro mains drill is only used for when some brute force is needed drilling largish holes in stonework or concrete, I've got a B&D 9v angle drill/driver, 14V Makita combi. 14v Makita drill/driver, 18V Makita combi. They all get used!
Reply to
AJH

You can't have too many drills :-)

Reply to