Electric - Main Supply

The fuseboard in my new house is aincent According to my bible (readers digest DIY Manual) I must have the mains moved to a new consumer unit by the Electricity board does this mean my local electrician cannot do it ?

Reply to
Vass

Any qualified spark can do a job such as this. The leccy board will charge a bomb.

Graham.

Reply to
Graham

I think the electricity board would only be interested if you wanted the meter moving or replaced, but any good sparks can change or move your fuse board for you.

Reply to
BigWallop

By your supplier agreement you must have the main consumer unit circuits tested by a qualified and registered electrician. HE will issue you with a certificate of completion. This certificate is then given to the man from the electricity board when he comes to reconnect you.

They tend to be quite tolerant to you removing the main fuse below the meter when you are having the work done (so you can do it over a few days). They are not at all sympathetic to you not having a test certificate of completion.

Problem is that if you are moving the unit or replacing it the circuits a joining it will have to be up to the relavant 16th ed standards, or they may refuse to connect you. Moving a unit normally intails disconnecting the main supply tails going into the meter, which is only safe to do after removing the main fuse below the meter. Which is tamper sealed.

Failure to gain a certificate of completion will invalidate the insurance on your house should something go wrong.

It's all a bit heavy handed on the suppliers behalf but I guess they are just aiming at safety.

Reply to
G Cadman

need details. Fuseboards installed as standard in the 80s, and even

90s, look to untrained eyes like something out of the 30s, with bakelite cases and wooden bases.

With no details to go on, the odds are you dont have a problem there.

misinformation

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Not in mine, nor any I've seen.

You can't fully test an installation and provide a completion certificate without it being connected to a supply.

I've never been asked for one.

I could imagine if the workmanship around the meter looks a shambles, then they might.

Not in any insurance policy I've ever had.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

OK its teh pull out fuseboard rather than the trip switch type plus the whole house consists of 2 rings and 2 light circuits no room for expansion on the fuseboard I intend to install electric cooker, electric shower, outside lights, garage electrics lots more sockets round the house etc.etc.etc

Reply to
Vass

not enough info, but probably modern. But i see you need a new CU anyway.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Called a local sparkie and he is happy to fit my CU for £ 80 but will have to advise when he sees it as to whether he can supply certificate. (But i need to supply "tails" too... will google in a min.....) He also is happy to supply certificate for my work, and had told me not to call him out as I go along throught the year doing each room, better to call him at the completion of all the work then he will inspect and certify then Happy I is :-)

Reply to
Vass

so much for part P !

Reply to