electric light safety?

Hi Group

this may seem naive, but I know nil about electrics; I can follow instructions on the box!

Bought lights from IKEA. Consists of 2 plastic covered cables, hung parrallel to each other along the wall. Current flows through those cables, from a little box, which in turn is fed from mains. I then hang 3 x lights between the cables, which pearce through the plastic to the inner cables to obtain their current.

From my schooldays 30 years ago, this means that one cable is neg, one is pos, and if I put a screwdriver, for example, across the two cables, it will explode, or blow a fuse, or something? Does anyone know these type of lights, and are they safe if I were to touch these the two cables at the same time, as suggested?

My reason for suddenly being concerned is that I have a new kitten ................................. !!!!

What will happen if the cat chews through one cable, then chews through the other, and manages to touch both cables at once?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Hooksem

In article , Ian Hooksem writes

They'll be low voltage lamps, probably 12V, and the box will be a transformer so not a safety problem.

Reply to
fred

If they're the same as mine from IKEA then they will be 12 volt. If they were in any way dangerous to operate in an exposed state they would be illegal I suppose. Put it this way, I haven't fried myself or my son in whose bedroom they are fitted so I reckon your cat will be ok!

Note also that when you install them the screw clamps sometimes need help making contact through the plastic. Decide where you want to put your lamps and scrape away a little of the insulation. grumble

Reply to
grumble

look here:

Gel

In article , Gel writes

Ferk all there about low voltage lighting . . . .

Reply to
fred

thanks everyone; I feel reassured. I am now going to place kitty against the wires to put it to the ultimate test (joke!).

Reply to
Ian Hooksem