Electric cooker installation advice

Hi Folks, We've been given an one year old electric cooker to replace an old gas one that died. The cooker is a single oven type and the label on the rear says it is rated at 9.3/10.1Kw We already have a radial circuit etc. for an electric cooker which was there when we arrived. This has a 30A breaker fitted. It seems to me that this probably won't be high enough (9300/230=40) for the cooker but as it is only a single oven type it seems odd to me that it would need any more than a standard 30A. so, a couple of questions:

1) Would i get away with wiring this into the 30A circuit as long as we didn't use everything together? Would it just keep tripping the breaker or would it be dangerous? 2) If i do need a 45A breaker how straightforward is this to fit into the consumer unit (do they just unplug?) and do i need a particular type? 3) Am i going to have problems with the wiring size if i uprate the breaker? I can't easily get to any of the wiring as it is all sunk into the wall. 4) if i do any of this, what's the position re: certification? I would be grateful of any advice. The cooker was free and we don't really have the money to get someone in to install it and we're fed up with microwave meals! Cheers, John
Reply to
John P

You have a problem. Sounds like the rings are 2Kw each. The oven 1.3Kw and the grill is 2Kw. A greedy beastie.

You seem to know the figures. If you work on 4 amps being 1Kw and you have 30Kw to play with. A ring or grill wants 8 amps and the oven (say) 5 amps. You can get away with selective use of what's available but can you guarantee that somebody won't want all on at once?

You cannot just uprate the breaker without also doing the wiring to match.

But how many cookers of this rating are connected to this rating circuit? I would think a great many and the owners are unaware of any problem.

Reply to
EricP

Probably dangerous to do so without further investigation

There are hundreds of thousands of them all over the UK. And they have no problems and are correctly wired.

The IEE state that a 30 or 32 amp circuit for a household cooker rated up to

15kW is usually appropriate.

It is down to diversity. Even if all the power on the cooker is switched on at once then very quickly the heating elements will cycle and start to switch on and off so the maximum current will not last very long.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But maybe you can downgrade the rings to put youself back in the safe zone

Reply to
JethroUK