Earthing problem

Page 2 of 2

<http://www.niceic.com/inc/file-get.asp?FILE=BPG1_aug07.pdf&RURL=/en/contractor/section.asp ||13>
Thanks for that, Adam. A new CU has been fitted at the property since the purchase, with a 30mA RCD - it was when this was fitted that the electrician checked the rest of the installation and discovered that there was no cpc to the lighting circuit. All the light fittings are class II (but I'll run a cpc to them anyway) - as I said in my opening post, the only problem is with the switches. If I replace all the metal switch boxes with plastic ones, and put a warning notice on the CU to that effect, would the installation then be considered to be up to scratch?

It would be safer if you did change the back boxes but it is not that essential. I wonder if you can still get the plastic screws (I know BOLTS) that they used to use some years ago and keep the metal back boxes?
Cheers
Adam

Are they bolts or machine screws?
--
Tinkerer

Yes, I have only ever heard them called screws.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94211/Electrical-Supplies/Switches-Sockets/Electrical-Screws/Electrical-Screw-M3-5-x-40mm-Pack-Of-50
Note for Adam: The plastic screw is a good idea - any idea who might stock them?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94211/Electrical-Supplies/Switches-Sockets/Electrical-Screws/Electrical-Screw-M3-5-x-40mm-Pack-Of-50
Machine screws, but I have known then to be called boltd.
No idea where to get the plastic ones from. I will have a look over the weekend.
How do you intend to swap the backbox without damaging the plaster?
Cheers
Adam

I think by gently cutting around them they should come out alright. Although I might try to pull some new 1mm twin and earth through instead - as suggested by Martin.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 22:15:52 -0000, Farmer Giles wrote:

Check to see if the existing cable has steel capping. We could pull through new cable, but found out with the first piece that there was a semi-automatic wire stripper in the wall!
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.