dropping a ceiling

I want to drop/ lower part of my existing bathroom ceiling by about 4/5 ins. ( as a design feature ) It will be replastered afterwards with the rest of the ceiling staying at its current level...........what would be the best way forward......materials etc.

Barry

Reply to
bs

A timber frame and plaster board?

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks wallop

A mate suggested I make the timber frame in the garage and then fix/screw it up.....sounds a good idea to me...then as you say use plasterboard to clad it ready for plastering

thanks

Barry

Reply to
bs

It's better if you can fix your hanging rails to the walls first, and make sure you have them level and secured properly. Then fill in the joists between them to take the weigh of the plaster board.

Fix the rails to the walls, then screw through the joist up in to them so the joists hang on the rails with the screws. This allows better expansion and movement on a dropped ceiling.

Reply to
BigWallop