Drilling Ceramic tiles

I want to mount a toilet roll holder onto a tiled surface and want to know how I drill the hole. Also what type of fixing to use in plaster board. I have been using the type that self screw into the plaster but they are rather large and would require a large clearance hole in the tile Blair
Blair wrote:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templates/contentlookup.jsp?content=/bq_advice/common/howtos/walltiling/main08.jsp or http://tinyurl.com/b4xax

Try screwfix for plasterboard plugs. www.screwfix.com
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
soup wrote:

Just had a thought DO NOT try to drill near the edge of a tile as it may try to break out there is no short cut, drilling through the grout is a no-no too, you will need to drill through the tile
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

As far as the plasterboard fixings are concerned I have every type but using them in conjunction with a tile makes a big difference. I have used the type of plasterboard fixing which screws itself into the plaster and found them the best but the fixing is rather large in diameter and would necessitate drilling a large hole in the tile. Blair
That's it. You have to drill a large hole to get them through the tiles. The toilet holder should cover them. If not just use ordinary plugs and then the tiles become the wall which will hold okay.
ken
Blair wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp ;jsessionid=Q3VDK1XEGZUXTCJO2C1SIIQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=plasterboard+plugs&x=8&y=2&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1 or http://tinyurl.com/7eemw
Doesn't look like there is any significant increase in diameter there
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

problem will be, the glaze.
Rob Graham

Stick a piece of clear tape over your marks and use a masonry drill on slow speed (NOT hammer) to break through the glaze. The tape will stop the drill bit from wandering about over the glaze.
Ideally the head of the plug should be below the tile.
--

Cheers

Derryck

Used sticky tape which was effective in keeping the drill from wandering. Used a masonry drill but after some time very little penetration. Borrowed a "tile drill" from a friend which is shaped like a spade and it was very easy to make the hole. When drilling my pilot hole for the fixing I found that my luck was in- I had an upright beam so screwing was direct. No problem! Blair
Blair wrote:

Thanks for the update, in so many things you (TINY) are left wondering if your advice was taken, ignored or just plain bad .