draining Central Heating

Want to drain central heating.
The system has a small tap on the outside of our house - is it simply a case of opening this up and flushing it through?
Also - I want to add a product called Fernox to the new water in the system. How do I do this?

Yes (but see below). And before you start turn the electric to the central heating off as you do not want a pump to run with no water should the programmer call for heat .

What sort of central heating systen do you have? Combi, fully pumped, gravity? To drain fully pumped systems down you need to open the motorised valves to let the water out. With all systems you need to open the bleed valves on the rads to let air in and allow them to drain. Start upstairs and work down so that you get air sucked in and not the water from above pushed out. If it is not a combi than there is often a bleed valve next to and just above the hot water tank.This will also need opening.
To add Fernox then pour it into the header tank for vented systems before you refill with water and on a combi system put the fermox into an empty radiator.
If you have a mains pressure unvented system than you should not be touching it at all.
Have a look at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/plumbingpage1.html
HTH
Adam