Drain tap

I'm just in the process of fitting a drain tap (to meet water board regulations) but realised that I have a outside hose connector on the bottom of one of my pipes, could this not be used as a drain tap it seems stupid to have to fit a drain tap when I could just connect a piece of hose and drain from this point if needed.
John