downlighters in bathroom ?

I am thinking of using Aurora cast adjustable low voltage downlghters in my bathroom .....all wired with a separate transformer.
Is this ok .........solid sound idea or what ......... are they allowed??
Barry

my
Low Voltage is fine for the bathroom, even above the bath or shower, as long as you keep the high voltage side of the transformer well away from people while they use the bath or shower. So, yes, that's a fine and dandy idea.

I'm told the ones B&Q sell are illegal [1] they are changing them, but first the old stock has to go [1] no idea how they are allowed to still sell em but thats UK law eh!
--
Vass

size=2>...<BR>&gt; &gt;I am thinking of using Aurora cast adjustable low voltage downlghters in my <BR>&gt; &gt;bathroom .....all wired with a separate transformer.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Is this ok .........solid sound = idea or what ......... are they allowed??<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I'm told the ones B&amp;Q sell are illegal [1]<BR>&gt; they are changing them, but first the old stock has to go<BR>&gt; [1] no idea how they are allowed to still sell em but thats UK law eh!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#ff00ff size=2><STRONG>Maybe they're not ???.</STRONG></FONT></DIV> <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=Arial color=#ff00ff size=2></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><STRONG><FONT face=Arial color=#ff00ff size=2>CG...</FONT></STRONG></DIV> <DIV><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; Vass <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Maybe they're not ???.
CG...

Change your settings to plain text please.
Adam

I think you may be refering to the 230 volt range of "bathroom" downlighters that B&Q sell. When you look carefully at the packaging you will see that it states which bathroom zone they are allowed to be fitted in and there is an explainaition of these zones on the back of the box.(I have lost my web link to these zones)
Adam

I've got one over the shower that is combined with an extractor fan (bought from Wickes) and it is great. The transformer is in the loft. Dave

What type of light you are allowed to install into a bathroom is dependant on it's zone rating. This rating is given to the product by the manufacturer in order to meet the requirements and sub requirements and supporting standards of BS7671.
See page two of this document for the zone locations. (Also in the screwfix catalogue)
http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/EarthingPlasticPipes.pdf
I don't think there is any limitation on voltage level however, for safety you must install the correct 'zone' rated light in the correct location. Of course a greater rated zone light may be fitted into a low rated location.
The bathroom is considered a 'special location', a location that has specific requirements over the general arrangement of the 16th edition (BS7671).
In this particular case you would have to check if the transformer is also suitably rated. Just being Extra low voltage (12Vdc) is not enough.
Regards G

my

The link I lost is here at http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf

It is usually 12Vac not dc. A transformer that is situated in the loft is usually outside the zones and so is not required to be rated (IPXX or zone wise)
Adam