Door hanging problem

Can someone please tell me how to cure a door that will not stay open at the position that it is left; it insists on opening fully from every position (other than when it is left completely closed).
Although I have re-hung quite a few doors in my time this one has me licked. I have tried all kinds of slight adjustments to the hinges but I just can't find how to overcome the problem.
I am sure there is a very simple way of deciding what I have done wrong but I don't know the secret!
Many thanks
Eric
"Cire" wrote:

Have you tried a spirit level to check that it is vertical? What type of hinges does it have, plain joint hinges or rising?
The hinges are plain joint type and I did wonder if a spirit level might tell me something but, stupidly, never tried it. You can see I am not a chippie by trade!
Many thanks for reply.

position
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:21:10 +0100, "Cire"

check the hinge leg of thedoor frame for plumb and that the hinges arent falling butts
henry