Door hanging problem

Hi Guys,

I have hung 3 doors at a friends house for the first time but I have a bit of a problem with one of them. It shuts ok but about 1" away from shutting it becomes springy as if under pressure to shut, I can't work out why this is. The bottom hinge seems to be trying to pull away from the frame slightly. I'm only guessing but does the hinge need to be packed out from the door frame? There is clearance all the way around the door.

Thanks up front for any input guys.

Reply to
Fred

Check the door on the inner side of the frame, the door might be too near the strut that goes around the inner frame resulting in stopping the door from shutting fully. Cant remember the name of the strut,but its for holding back a would be fire for 1 hour.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You have recessed the bottom hinge too deeply into the door or frame so the door edge and frame make contact before the door is shut, hence a lever effect comes in that tries to pull the hinge out of the door.

Packing the hinge to restore it to be level with both surfaces should suffice. A piece of cornflake packet is usually fine. It is a high tech job. :)

Reply to
EricP

I thought that might be the problem but it was quite hard to work out having neve come across it before and me being a novice lol.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred