Door handle operation question

Front door - removed furniture - painted door - replaced spindle, handles etc - not now working like it used to...have obviously re-installed something wrongly... BEFORE - When unlocked, to open door from inside, just use handle, open door, go outside, slam door and now it wasn't possible to open the door from outside without using key. NOW - When unlocked, to open door from inside its necessary to use the key, go outside, slam door and now to open the door from the outside just use handle. ...anyone any ideas?

Reply to
John Smith

Is it a mortice lock?

Is it a rimlock?

Is it a Euro lock ?

Who made the lock? Could give a clue as to the problem, especially if you can point to a website where it can be seen.

Do you insert the key into the centre of the handles (door knob)?

Or do you insert the key through a plate *under* the the handles?

Big Grin

Reply to
Big Grin

This seems obvious, you have put what was on the inside to the outside, and what was on the outside to the inside, so remove and refit opposite to what they are now.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

------------------------ This pic will help:-

John Smith

Harry,

The question is - is he using handles or knobs?

If its handles, then 'swopping' them will be funny, as he would have to pull the handles up to open the door (would have to be upside down) - or even have the handles over the door frame if he wants to push them down to open it (and the door will jam on the handles).

Now, if he has knobs on the door, that may be the solution, but I suspect that the question is a possible 'wind up' as removing and replacing 'normal' door handles will not affect the locking action.

It may cause the handles to stick because of a backing plate incorrectly fitted and screwed to the door (but a knock in the right place with a hammer soon sorts that out) or even over-tight screws can cause sticking - but not the problems the OP is saying.

Big Grin

Reply to
Big Grin

John,

Without actually seeing the lock, I would suspect that the alignment of the dead-latch and finger button is incorrect.

Remove the inner handle, then close the dead-latch part (the top one) manually, to do this, you should be able to stick a screwdriver in there to turn it, line up the top finger button (possibly vertical) hold it in that position and refit the handle over the spindle - and try it.

If that doesn't work, play around with the dead-latch and finger button to get the alignment

If you still have problems, have a look on the face of the lock and see if there is a makers name on it, along with any numbers, and post that on the group.

Big Grin

Reply to
Big Grin

Sorry, I was thinking of a 'Yale type' lock, probably with the internals being removed and replaced back to front, when it stated that the door usually locks when it is pulled closed from the outside, and then requires a key to unlock it, but after seeing a picture of the lock, I cannot see how this is possible, then again, it is not a type of lock I have come across before :-)

Reply to
Harry Stottle

============= OK TVM - I'll give that a go. Thanks

Reply to
John Smith

Our front door is a 'Yale' type lock with handles and deadlock operation but the lock it'self can be made into a mortace locl by sliding a 'slide' up. If you do that the dorr will not just slam shut, you have to use the key as you would on a mortace 'back-door' type lock.

Reply to
Ron O'Brien