Domestic Water Heating costs

Any thoughts as to which is cheaper, in general, to heat domestic water - electric immersion heater or oil fired boiler. I used to think the electric would be more expensive but with all the price changes going on over the last few years I've now no idea. Is there some formula to work out the relative costs if you know the cost of a unit of electric and a litre of oil? Nick
On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 14:53:36 -0000, "NB"

Someone did this in here some weeks ago.
You should be able to get a value per litre in kw hours for your particular oil and make an adjustment for the efficiency of the boiler and the figures compare directly.