Does Using a Transformer use more Electricity

If I want to charge up an electric toothbrush (in the UK) which is 110 volts (as the toothbrush is from the States) then I would presume I would require a step down transformer.
Does using a transformer to charge up a 110volt toothbrush from a 240volt electricity supply use more electricity than charging up a similar toothbrush which is from the UK and is therefore designed for a 240volts electricity supply and therefore does not require a transformer?
Thanks!

No definitive answer I'm afraid, since both (presumably) incorporate a transformer in the chargers anyway - so it depends on the efficiency of the whole set-up. In any event, I reckon the difference would be miniscule.
Do you have a shaver socket with a 110v output option? (And which doesn't require a light to be on all the time ... !)
--
Martin

[Remove barrier to reply]
Martin wrote:

Unfortunately no there's no shaver socket in the bathroom, so the toothbrush would have to be charged in a bedroom.
On 26 Jul 2006 03:29:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com wrote:

Simply buy a bathroom socket. They are 110 > 240 volts.
On 26 Jul 2006 03:29:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com wrote:

Plenty of shaver sockets have 110v and 240v sockets eg http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/K701.pdf
marvelus wrote:

Thanks very much for the link, I'll check it now. Thanks!

Transformers are typically better than 98% efficient.Yes you will use more electricity, but only a tiny bit more.
alot of toothbrush chargers (and similar) are multi voltage input, typ. 90 - 250 v check the one you have.
Ian