Does my Brick built workshop walls need stabilising ?

Hi

I have gained planning permission for and am building a Brick workshop.

The Workshop is 11.5m long by 4.2m wide with a wall height of 2.8m and a Wall height of 2.8m with a roof height of 4.2m.

Apart from having to dig the foundations a bit deeper the building inspector has so far approved of every stage.

It has been approved as an open plan design so I can put lightly built partitions to suit my requirements and these can be taken down if needed.

However the Builder I have contracted, who is very good at his job is now saying I will have to have a block work wall across the middle of the building because he thinks the walls will be unstable having a height of

2.8m.

The Planning authority has passed my plans and the building inspector has said nothing.

I would like the building to be open plan, one large workshop.

Any Advice, Views, Alternatives, Compromises or Examples to show the builder will be welcome.

Chris

Reply to
busacustom

What is the wall construction and thickness(es)?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Bob Thanks for the reply

Wall construction: Foundation- 1-5m trench 0.8 deep & 0.8mWide. Reinforced Concrete O.8m wide & 0.8mWide. Foundation Block, 0.3m & O.4 m wide, Foundation Bricks 0.4m & 30cm wide

Wall: 10cm wide Brick, 10cm Cavity Insulation, 10 cm Block work (Robust Blocks) Total width 30 cm With Wall plate Height 2.80m

I don't mind some sort of Interior Buttress if extra support needed

Chris

Reply to
busacustom

Hi Chris, I am not an architect or qualified other than years of building & diy projects.

I would have thought that with a properly tied cavity wall that you propose with internal piers of maybe 100 to 200mm deep every 2 to 3m on the long walls, that they would be perfectly stable.

The only proviso would be that your roof structure should be properly tied to prevent any lateral forces on the walls but this would be standard practise anyway.

Your BCO is the man to talk to just to confirm that they have not overlooked something when they passed the plans. Without being blunt to the man and pi88ing him off- your builder should be building what you ask him to especially if it is to BCO passed plans.

My workshop has 10m long, 2.5 m high walls, single 100mm skin concrete blocks with 100mm deep x 450mm wide piers a 3m intervals approx. Fully tied pitched roof and shows no signs of falling over. Not a BCO in sight mind you as it is just under 30sqm and built under older permitted development rights rules.

good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You need to refer to Approved Doc Part A (Structure) for the official guidance, look on the Planning Portal. AJ

Reply to
AJH

Hi Bob

Yours sounds a good workshop.

I have realised it would be good to have a Clean room for Computer paperwork etc. the other area can be used for cutting, sanding and dusty work. So I am going with a sepating wall.

Thanks for your reply

Chris

Reply to
busacustom

Hi AJ

I am going with a supporting wall as it will give me a clean area seprate from sanding etc as well as adding strenght to the building

Thanks for your reply

Chris

Reply to
busacustom

A second room makes a good area for finishing too. If you arrange some sort of fan - ideally a large bladed, slow turning fan with a filter, you can achieve a slight positive pressure in the finishing room which helps keep out the dust whilst finishing or at least prior to finishing such as french polish or varnishing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin